SC takes govt to task on Bofors accused's extradition

| The Supreme Court today sought details from the government on the steps taken for extradition of Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi, an accused in the Bofors pay-off case, and his detention in Argentina earlier this month. |
| A bench, headed by Justice CK Thakker, issued notices to the Centre and CBI and sought their replies within a week. |
| Additional Solicitor General Gopal Subrahmaniam, while accepting the notices, said a special team of CBI was being sent to Buenos Aires, capital of Argentina, for expediting the extradition process. |
| The court issued the direction after a lawyer, Ashok Aggarwal who had filed a PIL on the issue, made a mention of Quattrocchi's detention at Iguazu international airport in Buenos Aires on February 6 on the basis of a Red Corner Notice issued by Interpol at the behest of the CBI. |
| He alleged that though the CBI was aware of Quattrocchi's detention from |
| February 7, it kept the matter under wraps for "obvious" reasons. The Bench remarked that it was a serious matter. Later, Subrahmaniam said the two countries did not have an extradition agreement which could make it difficult for the Indian government to get him extradited. |
More From This Section
Don't miss the most important news and views of the day. Get them on our Telegram channel
First Published: Feb 27 2007 | 12:00 AM IST

