Saturday, April 05, 2025 | 06:25 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Evans set to land 1-mln pounds in compensation if rape conviction is overturned

Image

ANI London

Football rapist Ched Evans, who was released after serving half of a five-year sentence for raping a 19-year-old girl, is set to get a 1 million pounds compensation package if he overturns his conviction.

The Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) recently fast-tracked Evans' case and his legal team is confident that they would get the conviction quashed. And if that happens, the former Wales international could be in line for a record payout based on his loss of earnings while he was jailed.

A lawyer said that the figure that shamed Evans, who has always claimed that he is innocent, would be entitled to form the public purse would most certainly be at the top of the scale, The Daily Star reported.

 

And the lawyer also revealed that Evans' victim would lose out on any financial support. She had her life turned upside down when vile Twitter trolls exposed her online, forcing her to move towns and change her name and last week the victims name was again revealed by internet morons.

Former Sheffield United striker Evans was found guilty of the rape of a teen in a hotel in Rhyl, in 2011. He admitted having sex but claimed it was consensual.

Evans' footballer pal Clayton McDonald admitted having sex with the same woman and was cleared of rape.

The Sheffield United board were reportedly planning to invite him back but more than 1,50,000 people signed a petition demanding the club do not re-sign him.

Evans' girlfriend Natasha Massey stood by him during the case and her millionaire father funded the legal bid to get the case reviewed.

An original appeal against Evans' conviction was turned down in 2012. But Russ Whitfield, a former police detective from Sussex who runs Liberton Investigations, has since been working on the family's behalf.

A file was given to the CCRC in July asking for his case to be referred back to the Court of Appeal after the investigator said that he had concerns about the conviction.

Don't miss the most important news and views of the day. Get them on our Telegram channel

First Published: Oct 26 2014 | 12:54 PM IST

Explore News